Monday, August 5, 2013

July 29, 2013

Hey what's up everybody!

Another week has come and gone.  This week it was a lot of fun to be in Sofokrom because they were having a festival thing and so they had activities in the town all week and everybody was around and were having a lot of fun.  Serving in such a small place is pretty cool because you almost get to become part of the community.  The people always love to see two white guys in ties walking around while they are doing all of their activities.  Sometimes it was difficult to teach because the whole town was over watching the football match at the park but good thing missionary work isn't all just about teaching.  One of our investigators was playing the in the football tournament and so it was fun to watch him play and he was excited that we were there. We were also able to talk to a lot of other people and get to know them.  I wish that I could have served the two years with the knowledge that I know now.  The members continue to keep helping us and pretty much all of those that we are teaching came from members.  Members should really be in front when it comes to missionary work because that's when real growth will happen. I think almost all of the people that I have baptized on my mission, almost all of them came as member referrals.  When the work is like that, it's a lot more fun and also successful.  One reason why I have loved being in Ghana is because the missionary work and relationships are a little different here.  I feel like you are allowed to get a lot closer with the members here then you would in other places. I'm going to always remember the relationships that I had with investigators and members here. I was allowed to be myself a lot more and just get to know and love the people.  This week we had six investigators come to church and hopefully one of the six will be baptized before I go.  The one that we are going to baptize on August 10th is pretty much a member already.  She calls herself one and she comes to all of the activities. She's progressed really well and also really fast.  On Sunday after church, the chief organized a big non-denominational service at the football pitch and so all of the members and us as well as a lot of people from Sofokrom all were at the park. I don't really know what happened but it was fun. haha.  Some of the activities seemed a lot like a church in the south.  It was a lot of fun though.  Today we came and played basketball for our activity and I said goodbye to some of the elders that were there because I probably won't see most of them again because they won't be meeting together again until after I leave.  It's going to be sad to say bye to a lot of these people because most of them I will never see them again.  I always thought that I would feel so excited when I was coming back but the only thing that is making me have a desire to come home is family.  If I didn't have anybody back home...I wouldn't want to leave.  I'm really going to miss this place. Well, I guess I'll just talk to you all next week!  

Love Elder Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment