Monday, October 15, 2012

October 15, 2012


Hey everybody!

This week has been a pretty good one.  The baptism for Brother Wilson went great.  We did it on Thursday night and President Acheampong also baptized his daughter who just turned 8 as well.  There was a really good amount of people there and everybody really enjoyed it.  The Acheampong's provided the refreshments which was a first since I've been to Ghana.  The whole baptism was just really good because of all of the member support which usually doesn't happen.  Two people that have been doing great are a boy named Evans and also a woman named Amelia with her children.  They have each come to church the past three weeks and I'm pretty sure that they are going to be baptized.  Evans has a baptism date for October 27th.  Amelia is such a nice lady.  She just moved from Brong Ahafo region and she is here with her four kids and she is pregnant with another.  She always makes me laugh.  She always calls us Obruni (whiteman) instead of our names.  She can speak English pretty well and she can even read but she lacks confidence and thinks that she is bad.  It's been great being able to meet her and see her progress a lot.  The Kyirem family in our branch are really helping us a lot lately.  They own a local drug store that is connected with there house and Sister Kyirem is always there.  She's become like my Mom here in Swedru.  So on Saturday there was a wedding at our chapel and it was a lot of fun to go to.  Ghanians are really funny when it comes to weddings.   They are usually calm people but when it comes to weddings or funerals...they are crazy!  Saturday night also came with some big news as well.  It was transfer day so we were expecting the transfer calls in the evening.  At about six o'clock the phone starting ringing and it was President.  I was confused because it's usually just the zone leaders that call for transfer.  President ended up asking me if I would be zone leader in a new zone that they are opening up called Twifo Praso.  There was just four missionaries there before but now there will be 8 elders and 7 sisters there.  So I will be the zone leader there with a guy named Elder Osege (sp?) from Nigeria.  I'm a little bit nervous about it all.  I'm also really sad to be leaving Swedru because I've really gotten close with the people here.  I guess that's what happens while serving a mission though.  I really love Swedru and the members and the people that I've been working with. I'll be sad to leave this place.  I've just been saying goodbye to everybody now and getting ready to go.  I hate packing and I'm saving it all for tomorrow night.  Hopefully everything will fit in my bags!  Today was a fun p-day because we went and played basketball in Odoben. I'm going to miss all of those guys in that apartment as well as my companion.  Everything else is going well.  Thanks for all of the emails everybody.  I guess until next week!  Have a great week everybody!

Elder Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment